mobile device testing
But there are things that are needed to be considered wisely while adopting the mobile test automation. As if not given due attention, it may lead to programming disappointments – bugs, crashes or other sudden conduct – with mobile applications can rapidly cost their makers its reputation, and push the application down in a search request.
Thus, there are few things that are to be considered while adopting mobile test automation:
Cost and Investment
Mobile application testing is one of the most important aspect of app development. Many huge app developing companies lay great impetus on it. But even they have to go with the budget. Thus an effective cost and Investment plan needs to be adopted.
Time, people, Money, Infrastructure& Trainings are the basic requirements to conduct a test- manual or automated. It’s quite obvious that in today’s time one prefers automated testing as it provides better ROI.
App development & testing Cycles
App development requires efficiency and that efficiency is provided by a regular testing cycle which is frequently carried out during every stage of the app development.
Machines that carry out this Automation process though man-made are pretty much more error free than that of human themselves. Under Automation mobile testing each and every step is carried out efficiently with almost zero error. It saves time as well as manual energy.
Tools & Technology
Modern day app developing companies prefer Automation testing over manual one and that’s in fact right. But although the vast majority is carried out through Automation. They must not forget the importance of manual one.
There are various testing tools such as Robotium, uiautimator, Catabash, Selenium and Appium are just some of the wide range of methods available in a tester’s hand. Jenkins is one of the most commonly used open source continuous integration used for conducting automated testing.
Test coverage & reusability
Test Automation for Mobile apps turns out to be cost and time effective as lengthy tests are carried out in a short period of time and expense factor is reduced as less and less manpower is required to carry out the testing.
The testers and developers are required to abide by the open standards and are required to stick to those standards. Transparent APIs should be brought into use so that it can be used later on.
Improving efficiency, effectiveness and stability are the desired outcome expected after a considerable mobile Automation testing. All the emphasis is laid down how to produce high quality, robust apps which are reliable in the ever growing complex environment.
Testing efficiency relates to average number of tests done in an hour. The better the efficiency, the more cost effective and less time consuming it will be. So in order to satisfy your consumers and building a customer base, it’s quite essential that you stay awake in this dynamic mobile ecosystem.
With the increased number of smart phone users in the world, the needs for good mobile apps are increasing too. In the current era, majority of the smart phone users are accessing the internet via the mobile devices and most of our lives are dependent on the apps which provide us with all the basic needs. This has lead to the formation of a huge competition among the app makers to provide the end users with the best app which will satiate their needs. This calls in the requirement of mobile app testing.
- Checking Proper Functioning: The mobile apps should be tested to check the functionality of the same. When you are creating an app, you need it to deliver certain functions. App testing will ensure that your app delivers the desired function and that too in a speedy manner as people these days barely have time.
- Checking the Stress Level: As the usage of the mobile app is entirely dependent on the end user, you never know how much stress it may go through while being used. App testing will give you an idea of the stress level that can be handled by the app and also provide you with the report on how fast the app will gain back working capabilities in case it snaps under a certain amount of pressure.
- Security Facilities: Most of the mobile apps these days needs to be fed with personal information like email address or location details of the users. Banking apps also require knowledge of the codes and PIN numbers. Security of such information should be maintained at all time in order to safeguard the details of your customers. Security testing will show you how easy or difficult it is to breach the security parameters of your app.
- User Friendliness: The end users will always choose a mobile app which is easy to handle and understand. Hence it is very important that you test the ease of using your app before you release it for global usage. The app must be very easy to understand and deal with in order to become popular among the users.
- Compatibility: The apps are usually made up of various small modules which are integrated to make the app a whole one. Compatibility testing of the mobile app shows how smoothly the various modules work with one another so as to render smooth functionality of the app on a whole.
- Bug, Installing, Uninstalling and Updating: No user wants to work with an app which is filled with bug and is erroneous on the functionality front. Mobile app testing will ensure that your app is as bug free as possible. Also people have a hectic life style and want everything done at a rapid pace. Hence if your app has a speedy installing or uninstalling process at bay, it will be better accepted among the end users. Regular updates of your app should be provided in order to stay at par with the advancing technology and it is best if these updates get loaded quickly on your app. Mobile apps testing will give you all these details.
Thus you see how mobile apps testing are of utmost importance if you want to stay ahead of the raging competition of the mobile app industry.
Mobile devices are gaining importance rapidly and more and more people are switching to smart phones as a gateway to internet. As the generation is advancing, they are becoming completely dependent on the smart phones. Also with passing days, more and more applications are being developed and launched for public usage. This makes mobile app testing an important branch of software testing industry. However, certain things are to be kept in mind while testing the mobile apps.
- Selection of the Devices: The first and foremost job that you need to get done before testing the mobile application is to conduct a market survey that will give you a fair idea about the trending devices and you will have to test the mobile application keeping the construction of the device as most of your customers will be utilizing the same device to access you app. Compatibility of the device with your app has to be super smooth.
- Operating Systems: The next thing to be considered is the operating system on which the device is running. You have to test the compatibility and performance of your app on the said operating systems. The advancement of the technology has presented us with various operating systems and you have to test you app with them.
- Emulators: Emulators help to save time and money on the initial stages of app testing and helps in easy detection of bugs and flaws of the mobile app you are testing. This will lead to lesser complications. Make sure you are choosing the correct emulators for testing your mobile app.
- Browser Compatibility: While you are testing your mobile app for various defects, make sure to check the compatibility of the same in the various major browsers that may be used to access your app. The customers may choose any one of those browsers to use your app and hence it has to work smoothly on all of them.
The following questions may help you to strategize a good software testing procedure for the mobile application you are developing. It will detect the major issues and bugs so that it can be rectified to provide the customers with a more satisfactory end product.
- Is the installation procedure smooth enough for all existing devices?
- How easily can a user uninstall your application if needed?
- How well does your app work in case of poor or no network situations?
- Does your application allow proper display of features like logo, name, splash screen, etc.?
- How fast does your app start or restart?
- Does your mobile app affect the performance of the device or other apps?
- Are exit modes such as End key or Exit options etc. applicable for exiting your mobile app?
- Does your application allow phone calls or messages while it is launched?
- Is the application crashing after a phone call or message notification or prolonged use?
- Does it provide low battery notifications?
- Does the GUI you are using include colour scheme, theme, menu, font colour font style etc. compatible with all the devices/browsers?
- Is your application safe on security front?
We hope that these few tips will help you to make a good plan to test your mobile app to make it better and more compatible.