expert mobile app testers
The steady decline in mobile web usage has made it essential for enterprises to launch mobile applications. But a number of studies have highlighted that a large percentage of users delete mobile apps after downloading them from the app store due to their poor quality and user experience. So each business needs to explore ways to optimize the Mobile application’s functionality and performance to make it popular and profitable. Most businesses nowadays deploy seasoned QA professionals to assess the mobile app’s look, feel, functionality, performance, and user experience thoroughly. There are also a number of reasons why many businesses are making and implementing comprehensive mobile testing plans.
6 Reasons Why Most Modern Businesses Test Mobile App Thoroughly
1) Cross Platform Mobile App development
While planning mobile apps, most businesses nowadays target several popular mobile operating systems like Android, iOS and Windows Phone. There are also a number of advanced tools that enable developers to create the same application for different platforms using a single code base. But the businesses still need to ensure that the mobile app deliver quality user experience regardless of the mobile operating system. The QA professionals test the app thoroughly on each platform, and identify the flaws affecting the application’s performance.
2) Device Fragmentation
While planning a mobile app, businesses also need to target a wide variety of devices powered by the same mobile operating system. For instance, each business wants its iOS app to run on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. Likewise, it has to target various models of smartphones, tablets and phablets while planning Android apps. But the screen size, resolution and other hardware characteristics of individual devices differ. So the business needs to ensure that the app delivers quality user experience across many devices. The QA professionals have to assess the app’s look, feel, performance and functionality across multiple devices to make the users access the app regularly.
3) Frequent Operating System Updates
Apple, Google and Microsoft update their respective mobile operating systems at regular intervals. Each updated version of the mobile platform comes with several new features and performance improvements to deliver richer user experience. Thus, the mobile app scenario is transformed each time a mobile operating system is updated. The users further expect the mobile app to take advantage of the new features included in the most recent version of the operating system. So the testers have to assess the impact of changes made to the code to ensure that the app functions flawlessly on the latest version of the mobile platform.
4) Emphasis on Resource and Battery Consumption
The most recent version of iOS and Android enable users to identify the mobile apps that affect the device’s battery life and consume more memory resources. The features make it easier for users to identify and uninstall the resource-hungry apps. So the businesses need to ensure that their apps do not consume additional memory resources. But the amount of resources consumed by the application will vary from one device to another. So the QA professionals must monitor the application’s performance across a variety of device to ensure that they do not consume extra battery and memory resources.
5) More Focus on UI and UX
To make a mobile app popular, each enterprise has to focus on its user interface (UI) and user experience (UX). Recently Apple enables users to accomplish tasks through 3D touch on iPhone 6 and iPad Pro. Likewise, the users also have option to use a stylus and an improved keyboard while using iPad Pro. So the businesses must create mobile UIs that take advantage of these new features. Likewise, they also need to ensure that the mobile app delivers quality UX on each device and operating system. So it becomes essential for businesses to deploy experienced testers to assess the application’s UI and UX thoroughly. The test results will also help them to launch apps with optimized UI and UX.
6) Optimizing App’s Performance in Different Environments
Unlike conventional software applications, the mobile apps are used in a wide variety of environments. For instance, a person may access the mobile apps with a number of data networks including 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi. So the testers need to assess the performance of the application with slow, fast and no internet connection. Likewise, they need to assess if the app can identify the exact location of the users and deliver more localized information. While making a mobile testing strategy, managers clearly mention the environments and conditions under which the app’s performance needs to be tested. Thus, the QA professionals can test the app’s performance under various environments and the bottlenecks affecting its performance in each environment.
The QA professionals need to perform a variety of tests to assess the quality of mobile apps accurately. That is why; most businesses invest in mobile app testing tools to get more accurate test results. Many enterprises even opt for cloud-based testing to complete all required tests within a shorter amount of time. However, they also perform certain tests manually to assess the user experience delivered by the mobile app effectively.
But there are things that are needed to be considered wisely while adopting the mobile test automation. As if not given due attention, it may lead to programming disappointments – bugs, crashes or other sudden conduct – with mobile applications can rapidly cost their makers its reputation, and push the application down in a search request.
Thus, there are few things that are to be considered while adopting mobile test automation:
Cost and Investment
Mobile application testing is one of the most important aspect of app development. Many huge app developing companies lay great impetus on it. But even they have to go with the budget. Thus an effective cost and Investment plan needs to be adopted.
Time, people, Money, Infrastructure& Trainings are the basic requirements to conduct a test- manual or automated. It’s quite obvious that in today’s time one prefers automated testing as it provides better ROI.
App development & testing Cycles
App development requires efficiency and that efficiency is provided by a regular testing cycle which is frequently carried out during every stage of the app development.
Machines that carry out this Automation process though man-made are pretty much more error free than that of human themselves. Under Automation mobile testing each and every step is carried out efficiently with almost zero error. It saves time as well as manual energy.
Tools & Technology
Modern day app developing companies prefer Automation testing over manual one and that’s in fact right. But although the vast majority is carried out through Automation. They must not forget the importance of manual one.
There are various testing tools such as Robotium, uiautimator, Catabash, Selenium and Appium are just some of the wide range of methods available in a tester’s hand. Jenkins is one of the most commonly used open source continuous integration used for conducting automated testing.
Test coverage & reusability
Test Automation for Mobile apps turns out to be cost and time effective as lengthy tests are carried out in a short period of time and expense factor is reduced as less and less manpower is required to carry out the testing.
The testers and developers are required to abide by the open standards and are required to stick to those standards. Transparent APIs should be brought into use so that it can be used later on.
Improving efficiency, effectiveness and stability are the desired outcome expected after a considerable mobile Automation testing. All the emphasis is laid down how to produce high quality, robust apps which are reliable in the ever growing complex environment.
Testing efficiency relates to average number of tests done in an hour. The better the efficiency, the more cost effective and less time consuming it will be. So in order to satisfy your consumers and building a customer base, it’s quite essential that you stay awake in this dynamic mobile ecosystem.
Native mobile applications are those which have been developed based on the iOS and Android SDKs. Like all other apps, these too need to be tested before made available for public use in order to ensure that they are devoid of major faults or bugs which might cause people to stop using them. Following are a list of automated testing tools which you can use to test your native mobile apps with ease and reliability as they provide you with highly accurate feedbacks.
- Calabash (Android and iOS): Comparable to the likes of Selenium, Calabash (Android and iOS) is one of the best automated mobile testing tools which understands and tackles the difference between web app and mobile app smoothly.
- Frank (iOS): With the help of Frank (IOS), you can now create your very own text test/acceptance tests/requirements tests which can be executed with ease and detailed test results can be easily obtained. It also allows you to use an app inspector.
- MonkeyTalk (Android and iOS): Be it simple software tests like smoke test or complex texts which are driven by various data profiles, MonkeyTalk makes everything super easy on all sorts of systems like simulators or real devices.
- Robotium (Android): Native or hybrid apps, Robotium (Android) is up for testing all sorts of mobile apps. You can write your own tests and can apply them to span them for multiple Android applications at the same time.
- iOS UI Automation (iOS): You write the test scripts and iOS UI Automation (iOS) applies them to test the developed app so as to make it as error free as possible. You will get regular log information during the test procedure from the tool.
- Ui Automator (Android): Ui Automator (Android) specifically checks the native mobile app for the user interface and the ease with which the customers are able to handle the apps on touch screen devices.
- IOS-Driver (iOS): Completely workable with the likes of Selenium and other automated app testers, iOS-Driver (iOS) helps in the testing of both native and hybrid apps in order to detect the probable flaws in the developed apps in order to avoid customer’s dissatisfaction.
- Selendroid (Android): In case of Selendroid (Android), the tests have to written with the help of Selenium. It helps in testing both native as well as the hybrid apps and drives off, especially the user interface of the apps.
- Keep It Functional (iOS): KeepItFunctional (iOS) is an automated testing tool for native apps which pays special attention to the performance issues of the iOS apps. This framework specifically leverages the integration and utilises XCTest testing target to build and perform the specific tests.
- Appium (Android and iOS): If you are looking for a automated testing tool for your mobile apps which is written on codes with an open source then you must try Appium (Android and iOS). This is one of the best automated testing tools which test native apps perfectly.
These are some of the best automated testing tools which can be used for the detection of the probable flaws or bugs in the native apps of mobile which you have developed. The highly precise test results can be used for error rectification so that superior products are delivered.
It is a proven fact that testing of a software before launching it into the market helps in increasing the popularity of the same. However, there is no reason to test your app in your development facility, where as you can outsource it to people who specialize in the process and will take care of the mobile testing for you providing you with desired results.
- Pay Less, Get More: When you are managing a business or are the owner of one, your primary objective should be to attain maximum benefit from minimum investment without compromising the quality of the product. When you outsource the mobile testing facility you get good quality testing facility at a much lower price than that available at you own country. Also your core team gets to invest more time in the development process as they only have to manage the outsourced team and not invest their time in the mobile testing procedure. Thus you get the best of both worlds.
- Skilled People, Cheaper Rates: One of the most prevalent reasons behind the rise of mobile testing outsourcing is the availability of highly skilled labours at a much cheaper price. In this way you get to maintain the standard of your product and at the same time ensure that your company is getting maximum profit out of the whole process. The workers at the outsourced testing centre are equally skilled as your own workers (sometimes, even a tad bit more) but they are available at your service for much lower rates than the amount which you have to pay for you own workers.
- Focusing on Core Business: Most of the giants of the IT industry maintain a mobile testing division as a plus one along with their main business. On one hand it is important to deliver quality product to your customers on the other you also need to concentrate more on your core business facilities. When you outsource the mobile testing division to elsewhere, you still get to provide your customers with top notch product and at the same time get to concentrate and develop your core business more.
- Negotiable Pricing: We have already pointed out that the outsourcing of the mobile testing facility will cost you much less. If you are a company based in UK or USA, you will need to pay around $ 80 per hour to your workers for the same job which can be achieved for just $ 15 per hour in countries like India. Can you imagine the difference it will create in your annual profit? But don’t be intimidated by the price difference the end result of both the job are same (sometimes the later provides better results too)
- Easy Start Off: As most of the countries are outsourcing their mobile testing services, so a huge number of companies are growing in the countries like India which offer this kind of services to the rest of the world. This eases the job of finding the right kind of company which will provide you with the best mobile testing facilities as the one required by the app you have developed. In this way you just need to select the company which is right for your needed service, specify what you want, pay them and sit back and relax.
We have provided you with some of the top reasons as to why there is a sudden rise in mobile testing outsourcing. We hope this will help you understand the benefit of outsourcing and you will do the same.
With the increased number of smart phone users in the world, the needs for good mobile apps are increasing too. In the current era, majority of the smart phone users are accessing the internet via the mobile devices and most of our lives are dependent on the apps which provide us with all the basic needs. This has lead to the formation of a huge competition among the app makers to provide the end users with the best app which will satiate their needs. This calls in the requirement of mobile app testing.
- Checking Proper Functioning: The mobile apps should be tested to check the functionality of the same. When you are creating an app, you need it to deliver certain functions. App testing will ensure that your app delivers the desired function and that too in a speedy manner as people these days barely have time.
- Checking the Stress Level: As the usage of the mobile app is entirely dependent on the end user, you never know how much stress it may go through while being used. App testing will give you an idea of the stress level that can be handled by the app and also provide you with the report on how fast the app will gain back working capabilities in case it snaps under a certain amount of pressure.
- Security Facilities: Most of the mobile apps these days needs to be fed with personal information like email address or location details of the users. Banking apps also require knowledge of the codes and PIN numbers. Security of such information should be maintained at all time in order to safeguard the details of your customers. Security testing will show you how easy or difficult it is to breach the security parameters of your app.
- User Friendliness: The end users will always choose a mobile app which is easy to handle and understand. Hence it is very important that you test the ease of using your app before you release it for global usage. The app must be very easy to understand and deal with in order to become popular among the users.
- Compatibility: The apps are usually made up of various small modules which are integrated to make the app a whole one. Compatibility testing of the mobile app shows how smoothly the various modules work with one another so as to render smooth functionality of the app on a whole.
- Bug, Installing, Uninstalling and Updating: No user wants to work with an app which is filled with bug and is erroneous on the functionality front. Mobile app testing will ensure that your app is as bug free as possible. Also people have a hectic life style and want everything done at a rapid pace. Hence if your app has a speedy installing or uninstalling process at bay, it will be better accepted among the end users. Regular updates of your app should be provided in order to stay at par with the advancing technology and it is best if these updates get loaded quickly on your app. Mobile apps testing will give you all these details.
Thus you see how mobile apps testing are of utmost importance if you want to stay ahead of the raging competition of the mobile app industry.