Before we strive to write a good bug report let’s think of why we write a bug report in the first place! The whole point of writing a bug report is to get the bug fixed so that the software becomes a better version of itself. So before you sit to write a bug report you need to do it in a manner where the developers will be clear about what’s wrong with the software and will be able to rectify it else your moral as well as reputation can be harmed.
Writing a bug report is a piece of cake, however, writing an effective bug report may not be as easy. In order to make your bug report effective you may consider following the below mentioned pointers.
- Having Clearly Specified Bug Number: It is very important that you number all your bug reports uniquely and in a chronological manner so that the bug can be easily identified and located. If you are utilizing any automatic bug reporting tool then the number will be generated automatically. Always keep a brief account of the bug report along with the unique identification number.
- Reproducible: The developers can’t rectify the bug if they can’t reproduce it. This is why it is very important that you mention clearly the steps to reproduce the bugs. This will allow the developers to follow the given steps and reproduce the bug so that they can verify the nature of the bugs and rectify it with ease.
- Be Specific: There is no point in writing an elaborate report of the bug. No one has the time to read it. When you are writing a bug report always be specific about the bug and write a report which is short, to the point and specific about the problems created by the bug you are reporting. Make sure to reproduce the bug multiple times, read the report before submission and avoid using abusive language.
There are some simple templates which you can follow in order to write a perfect and effective bug report.
- Reporter: This will have your details so the developer can contact you if necessary.
- Product: The product in which you found the bug.
- Version: Which version of the product was tested.
- Component: Various modules of the products.
- Platform: The platform in which the bug was detected.
- Operating System: The operating system in which the bug was detected.
- Priority: How quickly the bug should be attended to on a scale of P1 to P5.
- Severity: Here you will be discussing about the impact of the bug based on the following points.
- Status: mention whether the bug is a new one or an existing one which has popped up again.
- Assigned to: If you have any information about which developer is going to fix the bug, mention it in your report.
- URL: It is best if you can mention the URL of the page in which the bug was detected for ease of the developer to detect it and pin point it.
- Summary: A short yet to the point summary of the bug report always helps the developer to get a quick glance of the whole report and hence to identify how to rectify it.
- Description: Describe the bug which you are reporting.
These are some of the tips and tricks to prepare a good bug report which will be effective for developers.
When test automation is concerned, real and virtual devices often poses to be a confusing factor. However, we bring to you a comparison between the two to ease your confusion and help you select the right device.
Advantages of Real Devices:
- Real world testing using devices in which the app with actually work in provides much deeper insight into the system and shows how the device will actually function. Also working in real world conditions is much easier than creating a virtual environment.
- Components like brightness, resolution and screen adaptability can be easily checked using real world devices rather than in virtual simulators.
- Actual devices help in testing the interoperability of the app by actually showing the correct workability of the same as will occur when the system is launched.
- In most cases real devices respond to a situation much faster and more accurately than a simulated device which results in much more precise results of the tests.
Disadvantages of Real Devices:
- Budget is an important issue when it comes to automated testing of an app using the real devices so projects which are suffering from time as well as budget crunch may find it difficult to perform these tests.
- There are a huge number of real devices available in the market today. So it becomes difficult to choose the right kind of device for performing the test when time is an issue.
- Emulators are much easily connected to Integrated Development Environment (IDE) than the real devices which may hinder the project when it comes to automated testing of an app as it will take longer to complete the said tests.
Advantages of Virtual Devices / Emulators:
- Virtual devices can come in handy when there is a deadline to meet. Real devices often become time consuming as far as automated testing is concerned and thus the virtual devices come into the play.
- Virtual devices are more appropriate in terms of budget related testing procedures. Real devices require a lot of investments and individual automated testing may require different real devices. On the other hand a single virtual device can bring forth various situations where the test automation may be conducted, thus saving a lot on the monetary font and hence is preferred by the organizations.
- Virtual devices are usually open source in nature and hence can be easily customized based on the requirements of the automated testing process. They are also easily downloaded from the online sources.
- Virtual devices are much easier to handle when dealing with web app testing procedures than the real devices.
Disadvantages of Virtual Devices / Emulators:
- When the automated testing is related to the duration of the testing and long testing periods are being deployed to check how the system responds to these situations, virtual devices often fail to provide foolproof results and real devices are more preferred.
- Incompatible virtual devices may end up in increasing the total cost of the automated testing process as it requires patching of the system in order to make it compatible for the tests that are being conducted on the system.
- Virtual devices are created based on only a handful or operating system and their features and hence will limit the scope of the automated test procedures.
Now that you know the pros and cons of using both a virtual and a real device in test automation, we hope it will help you to choose the correct method and employ it to get the most out of the process.
Software testing procedure is the key to the success of any software application and it is a proven fact. The software which undergo software testing procedure prior to launching has better customer satisfaction and success rate than their counterpart which was released without any testing. This is because software testing helps in detection of the various flaws that may ultimately result in the dissatisfaction of the customers. The detection of these flaws helps the developers to rectify them and make the software a stronger one.
Automated testing or test automation is a part of the software testing procedure where the certain pre written codes or special software which automatically test the software under examination and provides the tester with the results and at times can also compare the results of a current test with a past one to show the improvements made on the software after rectification or to give an idea about the most persistent problems that have been lingering on for quite some time now so that special heed may be given to these problems.
Automated testing helps in betterment of the software being tested which in turn leads to the success of the same. But before deciding whether test automation is the key to the successful application or not, first let us check out the various benefits of test automation.
- Testing Improves Accuracy: Monotonous software testing leads to mistakes. Even the most experienced and professional tester is prone to committing mistakes when they are performing manual testing for a long period of time. This can be avoided completely with the help of test automation as it is conducted by the machines and can run the same tests for hours at a go without a single mistake and same consistency.
- Increase Test Coverage: Test automation increases the depth of testing procedures along with the scope. While manually testing a software, testers often omit the lengthy tests for obvious reasons of time. Test automation helps in conduction these tests. Also test automation can take a peek into factors like memory contents, data tables, file contents, and internal program which are usually surpassed by manual testing to provide a detailed report of whether the software at stake is performing in a desired way or not.
- Automation Does What Manual Testing Cannot: Controlled web application test with the help of thousands of users is something which can only be achieved by the help of test automation. It can create scenarios of tens or hundreds or even thousands of virtual users who will be using the software at the same time. This is something which can never be achieved by manual testing methods.
- Automated QA Testing Helps Developers and Testers: As test automation is conducted by machines so even developers with little knowledge about software testing will be able to conduct them. This helps them to rectify the preliminary errors before sending them for software testing which helps in saving time and effort on both fronts.
- Team Morale Improves: This is quite obvious. Test automation takes care of the monotonous and time consuming jobs which leave the team members free for attending the more challenging jobs and for developing better testing procedures which will provide them with more accurate results about the working of the software thus helping them to make even better software.
Thus you can now see that it is pretty evident that test automation hugely enhances the chances of success of an application by improving it in terms of quality leading to greater customer satisfaction.
The massive popularity of mobile apps encourages many businesses to develop innovative applications by targeting popular mobile platforms. But users now have option to choose from millions of mobile apps available in different app stores. So it becomes essential for the business to focus on the app’s quality and user experience to get higher returns.
However, the enterprises require testers to test all aspects of the application within a shorter amount of time to reduce time to market. Many businesses automate their mobile application testing efforts to help testers to complete all tests without putting any extra time and effort. However, each business has to address a number of key challenges to automate their mobile application testing efforts effectively.
Addressing Top 4 Challenges in Mobile App Testing Automation
1) Choosing the Right Devices
Each mobile app needs to deliver quality user experience across a wide variety of devices. Often developers find it easier for test the iOS and Windows Phone apps as these platforms power only specific devices. But Android apps need to run on various models of smartphones, tablets and phablets. So the test automation must clearly define the targeted devices to make it easier for QA professionals to perform the tests. However, a business cannot invest in a large number of mobile devices. That is why, it is important for the project manager to pick some of the commonly used mobile devices, and use simulators to cover the rest.
2) Picking the Best Software
Each business has option to choose from a large number of mobile app testing tools and frameworks. Some of these tools are commercial, whereas others are open source and free. That is why; enterprises often find it challenging to pick the right software. It is always important for businesses to explore ways to reduce project overheads by using open source testing tools and solutions. But the open source tools do not provide IDEs that can be used for designing, executing, refactoring and maintaining tests. So it becomes essential for businesses to invest in commercial testing tools. To address the challenge, the business must spend some time in assessing the pros and cons of each tool according to the needs of the project. The evaluation will help it to pick the right software without spending a lot of money.
3) Monitoring Changes in Application’s Behaviour
Unlike conventional software applications, mobile apps are used in a variety of environments. The performance and user experience of an app will differ according to the connection. For instance, a user may access the mobile app with a number of internet connections like Wi-Fi, 2G, 3G and 4G. The performance of the app will vary according to user’s internet connectivity. That is why; the testers need to assess the functionality and performance of the app across many environments. At the same time, they also need to identify the bottlenecks affecting the app’s performance in individual environments. The business has to invest additional funds to emulate the probable environments for testing purpose. So it needs to identify the common factors that affect the app’s performance in various environments. The testers can use tools to assess the application’s performance based on these common parameters.
4) Implementing Data Driven Automation
While automating their mobile application testing efforts, many enterprises opt for data-driven automation. The automation technique enables testers to process a large number of business requirements within a shorter amount of time. For instance, data driven automation will help testers to check if the app displays appropriate error message for specific input submitted by the users. The business can simplify date-driven automation by asking testers to list the minor business requirements to be tested in a spreadsheet, and execute the test script to assess these requirements sequentially. The test script will gather business requirements from the spreadsheet and execute the tests in sequence. The testers can further enhance the scope of the test strategy simply by increasing the number of rows in the spreadsheet.
However, no business can automate all its mobile application testing efforts. The test automation tools cannot assess the application’s user experience accurately. As the app’s user experience will have a direct impact on its popularity, specific tests have to be conducted manually. That is why; the business must identify the tests that can be automated effectively to address the key challenges in an easier way.
Web applications are exceptionally tempting to enterprises. They give speedy access to corporate assets; easy to use interfaces, and arrangement to remote clients is easy. For the exceptionally same reasons web applications can be a genuine security danger to the enterprise. Unapproved clients can locate the same advantages: “speedy access,” “client inviting,” and “easy” access to corporate information.
This paper is composed of Information Technology experts who are most certainly not software engineers and may not be mindful of the particular issues introduced when utilizing a remotely confronting web application to append to a mission discriminating database. The substance gives a security’s portrayal difficulty presented by remotely confronting web applications.
Thus, it gives the information important which is pretty essential to engineers in order to check the security necessities for a particular web application, to make contractual the commitment of the designer to manufacture an application that is secure, and to guarantee that fitting testing is finished before moving to a generation domain.
The information is organized with an array of difficulties. For every test there are particular checkpoints that depict the security concern. The agenda gives a premise to securing web applications and the databases they interface with from pernicious and accidental misuse.
To keep a client id and/or secret key from being hacked, failed logins ought to trigger a lockout after a decided number of endeavors. The record lock-out ought to be kept up for various hours to keep and dishearten the assailant from reissuing the assault. The movement ought to be logged.
All are required to be logged – sign in, log outs, failed logins, and secret key changing demands. Also notice or alarms ought to be sent to a manager when the record is bolted due to failed login.
- It’s essential that you implement an expiry time for all passwords. The more discriminating an application is esteemed, the all the more frequently the password ought to change. For applications requiring a profoundly secure framework, consider a two-variable Authentication.
- When an individual is asking for the password change. At that point when passwords are effectively changed the system must forward a message to the email location of the client’s proprietor id, furthermore, the client ought to be compelled to re-authenticate the validity.
- At the point when a client overlooks a password, the password must be changed instead of “recover.” Passwords ought not be put away in a way that would permit a recuperation. On structure based watchword resets, the utilization of “mystery” inquiries and answers is prescribed. Once more, the application ought to compel another validation taking after the secret key reset.
Apart from these, there are various points that are needed to be considered to ensure the security of apps:
- Authorization and Access control
- Data and input validation
- Buffer overflowing
- Error handling
- Remote Administrative flaws
The aforementioned steps are quite mandatory in order to ensure the safety of the apps. These points, when clubbed together make up for the list of applications which help with Web app security testing. Thus,it is quite essential to understand these firms and protect oneself and the asset that one’s app is. Be vigilante. Be smart.
Software testing consists of a vast number of procedures which are performed on the developed software as a precautionary measure to make it as flawless as possible. During the procedure, the software is checked for functionality, design, user friendly behavior, amount of stress it can handle as well as the security issues that the software may face.
Of the various test methods that comprises the software testing procedure, functional testing is the most important of the lot as people will use the particular software, majorly for the purpose of its functionality. Following are a list of practices that you can follow to attain the best result out of functional testing.
- Analysis of the obtained results and getting to the root of the “Fail” results is the most important task of all.
- It is practically impossible to make the software completely flawless; however you should aim at maximum test coverage so as to make it as perfect as possible.
- While you are checking the functional aspects, it is best to break down the software in small modules in order to increase the test coverage.
- While you are checking the functionality, make sure you test the software for unfavourable conditions.
- Don’t start testing your software with a mindset of gaining a completely bug free piece of product.
- Functional testing of the software should begin as early as possible in the developmental stage in order to solve the problems before it gets further complicated.
- Once you spot an error in the developed software, make sure to report it back to the developers as soon as possible.
- Check the software functionality with the help of critical time testing to enhance the performance of the same. Also, avoid rushing the test team and provide them with sufficient time to check the software.
- Make the software do things it is not meant to do to check the functioning of the software in such unfavourable or flawed conditions.
- Always make sure to check the latest functional testing results with the previously obtained one in order to get hang of the most repetitive function issues as well as the progress on the functional front.
- Keep a record of all the findings of the software tests for future references.
- Once the reported bugs has been rectified, you now need to check the software again to make sure that the software isn’t malfunctioning due to the rectification and also to check the development of new bugs.
- Avoids the entry of the developers in the test region and take special attention to write down all the changes in the final report of the software functional tests.
- A good conversation with the development team is absolutely essential to make them understand about the detected problem and what you expect them to do about it. Having a well bonded relationship with the developers team helps in smooth conversation.
- Start testing the software for its functionality as early as possible to avoid the piling up of the bugs or performance issues and always maintain an extensive report which will contain all the details of the procedures and results of the performed tests.
We hope that these few points will help you to conduct functional testing that are going to yield an almost perfect software for your customers.
Software testing is one of the most important parts of the software development life cycle which determines the success of the software in the user level. In this hectic world, no one has the time to spend on underrated software. People will not spare a minute to switch over to something new which has better performance level. Software testing ensures that your software is top notch and well accepted by the users.
Stress testing is the part of the software testing which deals with checking the robustness of the same. It checks the performance of the software under increased load or stressed situations, detects the glitches and reports back so that you can rectify them and create a better software. Various automated tools are available for the stress testing of the software and some of the bests are listed below.
- Apache JMeter: Apache JMeter is a stress testing tool which is specifically made for the applications which run on Java. It is equipped with an integrated test planning tool which helps in the testing of the software under various aggravated conditions.
- LoadRunner: LoadRunner has been manufactured by Hewlett Packard which can be utilised for checking the various performance issues of the software under various unfavourable conditions. One of the major advantages of the tool is that thousands of the users can utilize it at the same time.
- WebLOAD: Using the likes of Ajax, Adobe Flex, .NET, Oracle Forms, HTML5 etc, WebLOAD helps in checking the stress level of various web applications that are developed each day. It helps in checking performance of the web app in large scales with a huge number of users.
- Appvance: The unique design of Appvance allows people to produce codeless testing facilities which help in the stress testing procedure of the application. This tool can be used to stress test of the application from the beginning of the development.
- NeoLoad: If you are looking for a website which can be used to test and analyse the performance of any web applications under stressful or overloaded situations. It helps in the optimization of the various performance issues by evaluating the available results and thus helping you to rectify the various problems.
- LoadUI: LoadUI is an open source stress testing tool which works best along with performance testing tool SoapUI. This tool can be used to check the stress handling capability of various web applications. It is both flexible and interactive and eases the testing procedure.
- WAPT: This is one of those tools which give best value for money. WAPT allows you to test your various web applications under variable conditions. This stress testing tool allows you to check the application under variety of loads and is compatibility with all of the major browsers and operating systems.
- Loadster: The scripts produced by Loadster, by testing the various applications, is easy to figure out so that they can be rectified to produce a better application. It is based on HTTP functionality and stimulates large number of virtual users.
With the help of these tools, the stress testing procedure of the various software will be a lot easier and faster and the results produced will be more accurate in nature for better rectification of the same.