automation software tesing
The software applications help insurance companies to make their processes efficient and run business smoothly. But the insurance applications are designed with features to facilitate a wide variety of activities including development of policy forms, payment processing, and facilitating intra-branch transactions. At the same time, the apps also need to store sensitive business and customer data securely, and deliver seamless customer service across a variety of devices. The features and functionality make insurance apps complex, and different from normal software applications. The insurance companies also need to assess all aspects of their apps to deliver quality customer service and effectuate business processes.
5 Reasons Why Insurance Applications Must Be Tested Continuously
1) Integration of Many Systems
In addition to being domain-specific software, the insurance application also includes a number of systems. For instance, an insurance application may include individual systems for insurance policy administration, claim management, risk management, investment management, and calculation and valuation of insurance policy. At the same time, it also provides detailed and updated information to users according to the Compliance and Regulatory. So the overall functionality and performance of the application depend on the quality of each integrated system. A company must perform elaborate integration testing each time an integrated system is modified or updated.
2) Need to Test Each Unit Rigorously
As noted earlier, each insurance app is designed by integrating a number of systems. Each of these systems is designed as independent units, and integrated with other units subsequently. Often insurance companies integrate new units into the application to automate new activities. So each of these units must be tested independently and as part of the application. The insurance company must deploy testers to identify and eliminate all bugs in individual units. Likewise, it must get the systems tested after the integration to ensure that the app performs seamlessly.
3) Changes in Regulation and Guideline
Unlike generic software, an insurance app must deliver accurate, exact and updated information to each user. So the company needs to ensure that the application delivers information according to the latest regulations and guidelines issued by the Compliance and Regulatory. Also, the insurance companies must make changes to the insurance apps immediately to accommodate the new guidelines and regulations. Each time any changes are made to the app or individual systems, it becomes essential for testers to repeat all tests without any delay. Thus, the company need to ensure that the insurance application is tested thoroughly each time the rules change.
4) Security of Business and Customer Data
The insurance applications are also designed to store and deliver a wide variety of data. The application will enables employees and vendors to access a large amount of business data. At the same time, it will also store sensitive information of customers, and allow them to access updated information. So the application must be designed with advanced security features and techniques. The testers further need to perform a variety of tests to ensure that the app can store and deliver sensitive information securely. They also need to review the source code of the application rigorously to ensure that it can combat the emerging security threats.
5) Focus on Functionality, Usability and Compatibility
Nowadays, most insurance companies allow their employees to bring and use their own devices. Likewise, the customers also access the web-based insurance apps on a variety of devices. So it becomes essential for the insurance company to ensure that the application delivers quality user experience across many devices. The company must deploy testers to assess the application’s functionality and performance across many devices. Also, the testers need to check the application’s user experience on individual devices. When the insurance app is tested continuously, it becomes easier for the company to deliver quality user experience and customer service.
On the whole, an insurance company can reap several benefits by testing its applications thoroughly and continuously. However, it is also important for the company to review and customize its software testing strategy at regular intervals to enhance the insurance app’s quality and user experience.
Before we strive to write a good bug report let’s think of why we write a bug report in the first place! The whole point of writing a bug report is to get the bug fixed so that the software becomes a better version of itself. So before you sit to write a bug report you need to do it in a manner where the developers will be clear about what’s wrong with the software and will be able to rectify it else your moral as well as reputation can be harmed.
Writing a bug report is a piece of cake, however, writing an effective bug report may not be as easy. In order to make your bug report effective you may consider following the below mentioned pointers.
- Having Clearly Specified Bug Number: It is very important that you number all your bug reports uniquely and in a chronological manner so that the bug can be easily identified and located. If you are utilizing any automatic bug reporting tool then the number will be generated automatically. Always keep a brief account of the bug report along with the unique identification number.
- Reproducible: The developers can’t rectify the bug if they can’t reproduce it. This is why it is very important that you mention clearly the steps to reproduce the bugs. This will allow the developers to follow the given steps and reproduce the bug so that they can verify the nature of the bugs and rectify it with ease.
- Be Specific: There is no point in writing an elaborate report of the bug. No one has the time to read it. When you are writing a bug report always be specific about the bug and write a report which is short, to the point and specific about the problems created by the bug you are reporting. Make sure to reproduce the bug multiple times, read the report before submission and avoid using abusive language.
There are some simple templates which you can follow in order to write a perfect and effective bug report.
- Reporter: This will have your details so the developer can contact you if necessary.
- Product: The product in which you found the bug.
- Version: Which version of the product was tested.
- Component: Various modules of the products.
- Platform: The platform in which the bug was detected.
- Operating System: The operating system in which the bug was detected.
- Priority: How quickly the bug should be attended to on a scale of P1 to P5.
- Severity: Here you will be discussing about the impact of the bug based on the following points.
- Status: mention whether the bug is a new one or an existing one which has popped up again.
- Assigned to: If you have any information about which developer is going to fix the bug, mention it in your report.
- URL: It is best if you can mention the URL of the page in which the bug was detected for ease of the developer to detect it and pin point it.
- Summary: A short yet to the point summary of the bug report always helps the developer to get a quick glance of the whole report and hence to identify how to rectify it.
- Description: Describe the bug which you are reporting.
These are some of the tips and tricks to prepare a good bug report which will be effective for developers.
A gradual increase is being noted in the number of businesses switching from scripted testing to exploratory testing. The conventional scripted testing approach requires the active test cases to be designed in advance, with clearly defined processes and expected results. The predesigned tests are used by testers to compare the actual test results with expected results. So the testers must be provided with adequate information to execute the tests and interpret the test results effectively.
But exploratory testing approach emphasizes on concurrent test designing and execution. It further requires businesses to deploy skilled software testers, and allows testers to become more imaginative and exploratory. While performing exploratory testing, the QA professionals have autonomy to decide what tests to perform next, and how to prioritize tests due to time constraints. So a business can avail a number of benefits by adopting the modern software testing approach.
What Makes Businesses Switch from Scripted Testing to Exploratory Testing?
Defects are Found Quickly
The predesigned test scripts restrict professionals’ imagination and creativity. When the testers have adequate information about the software to be tested and use the predesigned test scripts, they do not come up with fresh and innovative ideas. Exploratory testing requires them to design and execute tests concurrently. So they can learn and improve continuously, while coming up with new ideas and innovative ways to solve problems.
Accommodate Individual Testing Approaches
Exploratory testing approach requires enterprises to deploy skilled and experienced QA professionals. So each tester can analyze the specific problem in a particular way. The members of the team can further suggest various ways to test a particular feature or functionality of the software. So the same aspect of the application can be tested in a number of ways. The different approaches effectuate testing, and help testers to identify all flaws in the software.
Allow Testers to Control the Testing Process
The scripted testing approach differentiates the process of test design and test execution. So an enterprise has option to deploy different teams to design and execute tests. Also, the testers need adequate product information and detailed business requirements to execute the tests effectively. So the testers fail to execute tests if the test cases are not designed in advance or they are not familiar with the application. But exploratory testing enables testers to design and execute tests concurrently. They can easily gather the required information, and design and test cases in each situation.
Freedom to Follow Leads
Nowadays testers have to test all aspects of the software within a shorter amount of time. So they find it daunting to read, understand and execute predesigned test scripts. Most modern testers prefer designing and executing tests in parallel without referring to any predesigned test cases. Further, they want to deploy the limited time in finding bugs instead of reading and understanding test cases. The absence of predefined constraints further enables testers to identify bugs in the software by following all promising leads.
Facilitates Agile Testing
Many businesses nowadays adopt agile methodology to reduce software testing time and cost significantly. But the delivery cycles in agile project is extremely short. Further, the developers and testers have to collaborate with each other deliver a flawless software application. So the businesses are no longer required to deploy skilled professionals to make test plans, design test cases, and manage defects in the software. When a business adopts exploratory testing approach, it becomes easier for it to design and execute test cases concurrently without deploying any additional professionals. So exploratory testing helps businesses to reap benefits of agile project management methodologies.
On the whole, the exploratory testing approach is completely different from conventional scripted testing approach. But companies like Microsoft have proved that both testing approaches are compatible with each other, and can also be used on a single project. So a business has option to either adopt exploratory testing model or use both testing models simultaneously.
The ecommerce applications have made it easier for businesses to offer their products and services to customers residing on various regions. But the businesses have to make changes to the web store frequently to attract and engage the website visitors. Often minor changes made to a web store affect its functionality and performance hugely. That is why, most businesses use a variety of tools and frameworks to test their ecommerce applications quickly and efficiently. The test automation tools further help testers to perform the required tests repeatedly and frequently without putting extra time and effort. But each business must focus on a number of key points to automate ecommerce application testing effectively.
Best Practices for Ecommerce Application Testing Automation
Identify and Address the Key Challenges
Before automating your ecommerce application testing, you must identify and address the key challenges related to functionality, security and performance. You must check the website thoroughly to ensure that the visitors can find and buy the required products quickly. Likewise, you also need to check if the website can effectively handle a higher number of visitors and online transactions efficiently. Also, the application must allow customers to perform online transaction with utmost privacy and security. The key challenges will help you to decide the appropriate test coverage.
Figure Out Important Requirements
When you decide to automate ecommerce application testing, it becomes essential to invest both funds and resources. So you have to make a plan based on several requirements. In addition to setting up a budget for the test automation project, you need to schedule the testing efforts and define the objectives to be achieved in each test cycle. At the same time, you must define the scope of each testing to ensure that all aspects of the web store are covered. The initial planning will help you to save both time and cost in the longer run.
Identify the Tests to be Automated
The initial planning will further help you to decide the types of tests to be conducted and scope of each type of testing. But each process in an ecommerce application needs to be tested based on specific functionality, action and validation criteria. For instance, you have to test user login, search functionality and shopping cart based on different criterions. That is why, it is important to figure out requirements for testing each process, and prioritize the requirements. Based on the prioritized requirements, you can decide the tests that need to be automated.
Design the Test Automation Framework
The quality of the test automation framework will have a direct impact on the outcome of the test automation project. So you must design a comprehensive test automation framework by covering all automated tests. The framework must include the test scripts and the scenarios of various automated processes. Based on the framework, the testers can easily execute the tests, and obtain relevant results by generating test reports.
Pick the Right test Automation Tools
After designing the test automation framework, you have to pick the right test automation tools based on the type, scope and requirements of testing. As the tools selected by you will have a direct impact on the test automation project, you must choose the tools based on a number of key parameters. It is always important to compare the available tools based on key parameters like features, performance, extensibility, licensing cost, maintenance cost, and required training. You must take advantage of many open source test automation tools to automate more testing efforts without investing additional funds.
Focus on the Application’s User Experience
The popularity of each ecommerce website nowadays depends on its user experience. So each test scripts and processes must focus extensively on user experience. You must decide the tests to be performed based on the nature and types of changes made to the ecommerce application. At the same time, the testers must repeat all tests to ensure that the changes made to the application do not affect its user experience. Likewise, they must repeat all tests to ensure that the application delivers quality experience across many devices and platforms.
On the whole, each business needs to implement a comprehensive and customized strategy to automate ecommerce application testing. However, it is also important for the business to pick the right test automation tools to check all aspects of the web store quickly and effectively.
In the recent years, cloud computing has made a huge advancement in the field of World Wide Web. Since its advent, the growth of cloud computing has been in leaps and bound and by the year 2016 the cloud computing will have a market size of $ 19.5 billion approximately. With this kind of advancement in the cloud computing genre, it is quite obvious that software testing will become largely dependent on it.
Being one of the most crucial parts of the software development life cycle, software testing is always on the lookout for advancement of the process to further strengthen the procedures in order to get better software which will provide maximum customer satisfaction. This in turn has ensured the betterment of the test management tools which are being used to test the software for the glitches so as to rectify them.
- Cost Effective: The best part of using the cloud based test management tools is the fact that they cost much lesser than the traditional tools. You no longer need to maintain a separate hardware for your management tools which means that your depreciating cost reduces greatly. You also get to avail your test management tool whenever you need it and you get to pay for them accordingly, which means you don’t need to pay for the tools even when you are not using the same.
- Benefits of Virtualization: When you are using a cloud based test management tool, you get the liberty to share the same tool with various companies which in turn helps in reduction of the capital cost. With the increase in the complexity of the various tools or applications, cloud base helps in sharing of the resources which makes the testing tools much more flexible in nature and optimal usage facilities are provided this in turn makes the testing tools more efficient.
- More Collaboration: With the help of cloud based test management tools you can now share the data among the testing teams of various locations all around the world. This helps in collaboration of the various testing teams giving rise to more powerful testing procedures which ultimately results in foolproof software which will be favorite among the customers. You no longer need to maintain a test team at your development site as the data can easily be shared over cloud server.
- Testing is Quicker: Cloud based test management tools deploy a lot quicker than the traditional tools available and also, they have a very short set up time which ultimately results in saving time when it comes to the whole testing procedure. The test management tools can also be upgraded anytime and anywhere providing you with more proficient tools to work with. The testing can be started anytime and anywhere and almost immediately providing the company with an advantage in competition.
- Reduced IT Management Effort: When you are using cloud based test management tools, you no longer need to put a lot of effort in the installation, adding or replacing of the users, licensing, upgradation across locations, etc. This provides your IT team with ample time to focus on more vital issues related to software testing which will ensure a better testing procedure that will benefit the business in the long run by earning more profit.
These are some of the top benefits of cloud based test management tools over the traditional tools that are available in the market and in the coming years this dependency is going to be enhanced further for the betterment of the process on a whole.
When test automation is concerned, real and virtual devices often poses to be a confusing factor. However, we bring to you a comparison between the two to ease your confusion and help you select the right device.
Advantages of Real Devices:
- Real world testing using devices in which the app with actually work in provides much deeper insight into the system and shows how the device will actually function. Also working in real world conditions is much easier than creating a virtual environment.
- Components like brightness, resolution and screen adaptability can be easily checked using real world devices rather than in virtual simulators.
- Actual devices help in testing the interoperability of the app by actually showing the correct workability of the same as will occur when the system is launched.
- In most cases real devices respond to a situation much faster and more accurately than a simulated device which results in much more precise results of the tests.
Disadvantages of Real Devices:
- Budget is an important issue when it comes to automated testing of an app using the real devices so projects which are suffering from time as well as budget crunch may find it difficult to perform these tests.
- There are a huge number of real devices available in the market today. So it becomes difficult to choose the right kind of device for performing the test when time is an issue.
- Emulators are much easily connected to Integrated Development Environment (IDE) than the real devices which may hinder the project when it comes to automated testing of an app as it will take longer to complete the said tests.
Advantages of Virtual Devices / Emulators:
- Virtual devices can come in handy when there is a deadline to meet. Real devices often become time consuming as far as automated testing is concerned and thus the virtual devices come into the play.
- Virtual devices are more appropriate in terms of budget related testing procedures. Real devices require a lot of investments and individual automated testing may require different real devices. On the other hand a single virtual device can bring forth various situations where the test automation may be conducted, thus saving a lot on the monetary font and hence is preferred by the organizations.
- Virtual devices are usually open source in nature and hence can be easily customized based on the requirements of the automated testing process. They are also easily downloaded from the online sources.
- Virtual devices are much easier to handle when dealing with web app testing procedures than the real devices.
Disadvantages of Virtual Devices / Emulators:
- When the automated testing is related to the duration of the testing and long testing periods are being deployed to check how the system responds to these situations, virtual devices often fail to provide foolproof results and real devices are more preferred.
- Incompatible virtual devices may end up in increasing the total cost of the automated testing process as it requires patching of the system in order to make it compatible for the tests that are being conducted on the system.
- Virtual devices are created based on only a handful or operating system and their features and hence will limit the scope of the automated test procedures.
Now that you know the pros and cons of using both a virtual and a real device in test automation, we hope it will help you to choose the correct method and employ it to get the most out of the process.
Software testing procedure is the key to the success of any software application and it is a proven fact. The software which undergo software testing procedure prior to launching has better customer satisfaction and success rate than their counterpart which was released without any testing. This is because software testing helps in detection of the various flaws that may ultimately result in the dissatisfaction of the customers. The detection of these flaws helps the developers to rectify them and make the software a stronger one.
Automated testing or test automation is a part of the software testing procedure where the certain pre written codes or special software which automatically test the software under examination and provides the tester with the results and at times can also compare the results of a current test with a past one to show the improvements made on the software after rectification or to give an idea about the most persistent problems that have been lingering on for quite some time now so that special heed may be given to these problems.
Automated testing helps in betterment of the software being tested which in turn leads to the success of the same. But before deciding whether test automation is the key to the successful application or not, first let us check out the various benefits of test automation.
- Testing Improves Accuracy: Monotonous software testing leads to mistakes. Even the most experienced and professional tester is prone to committing mistakes when they are performing manual testing for a long period of time. This can be avoided completely with the help of test automation as it is conducted by the machines and can run the same tests for hours at a go without a single mistake and same consistency.
- Increase Test Coverage: Test automation increases the depth of testing procedures along with the scope. While manually testing a software, testers often omit the lengthy tests for obvious reasons of time. Test automation helps in conduction these tests. Also test automation can take a peek into factors like memory contents, data tables, file contents, and internal program which are usually surpassed by manual testing to provide a detailed report of whether the software at stake is performing in a desired way or not.
- Automation Does What Manual Testing Cannot: Controlled web application test with the help of thousands of users is something which can only be achieved by the help of test automation. It can create scenarios of tens or hundreds or even thousands of virtual users who will be using the software at the same time. This is something which can never be achieved by manual testing methods.
- Automated QA Testing Helps Developers and Testers: As test automation is conducted by machines so even developers with little knowledge about software testing will be able to conduct them. This helps them to rectify the preliminary errors before sending them for software testing which helps in saving time and effort on both fronts.
- Team Morale Improves: This is quite obvious. Test automation takes care of the monotonous and time consuming jobs which leave the team members free for attending the more challenging jobs and for developing better testing procedures which will provide them with more accurate results about the working of the software thus helping them to make even better software.
Thus you can now see that it is pretty evident that test automation hugely enhances the chances of success of an application by improving it in terms of quality leading to greater customer satisfaction.