When test automation is concerned, real and virtual devices often poses to be a confusing factor. However, we bring to you a comparison between the two to ease your confusion and help you select the right device.
Advantages of Real Devices:
- Real world testing using devices in which the app with actually work in provides much deeper insight into the system and shows how the device will actually function. Also working in real world conditions is much easier than creating a virtual environment.
- Components like brightness, resolution and screen adaptability can be easily checked using real world devices rather than in virtual simulators.
- Actual devices help in testing the interoperability of the app by actually showing the correct workability of the same as will occur when the system is launched.
- In most cases real devices respond to a situation much faster and more accurately than a simulated device which results in much more precise results of the tests.
Disadvantages of Real Devices:
- Budget is an important issue when it comes to automated testing of an app using the real devices so projects which are suffering from time as well as budget crunch may find it difficult to perform these tests.
- There are a huge number of real devices available in the market today. So it becomes difficult to choose the right kind of device for performing the test when time is an issue.
- Emulators are much easily connected to Integrated Development Environment (IDE) than the real devices which may hinder the project when it comes to automated testing of an app as it will take longer to complete the said tests.
Advantages of Virtual Devices / Emulators:
- Virtual devices can come in handy when there is a deadline to meet. Real devices often become time consuming as far as automated testing is concerned and thus the virtual devices come into the play.
- Virtual devices are more appropriate in terms of budget related testing procedures. Real devices require a lot of investments and individual automated testing may require different real devices. On the other hand a single virtual device can bring forth various situations where the test automation may be conducted, thus saving a lot on the monetary font and hence is preferred by the organizations.
- Virtual devices are usually open source in nature and hence can be easily customized based on the requirements of the automated testing process. They are also easily downloaded from the online sources.
- Virtual devices are much easier to handle when dealing with web app testing procedures than the real devices.
Disadvantages of Virtual Devices / Emulators:
- When the automated testing is related to the duration of the testing and long testing periods are being deployed to check how the system responds to these situations, virtual devices often fail to provide foolproof results and real devices are more preferred.
- Incompatible virtual devices may end up in increasing the total cost of the automated testing process as it requires patching of the system in order to make it compatible for the tests that are being conducted on the system.
- Virtual devices are created based on only a handful or operating system and their features and hence will limit the scope of the automated test procedures.
Now that you know the pros and cons of using both a virtual and a real device in test automation, we hope it will help you to choose the correct method and employ it to get the most out of the process.
Since it has been brought into light and people have slowly gained knowledge of the software testing procedures, it has become one of the vital parts of the whole software development life cycle which strives to provide better and bigger software to the customers leading to better customer satisfaction and preventing all the possible glitches that could have caused customer dissatisfaction. This in turn has ensured that the mega minds of software technologies pay better attention to the software testing procedures which has paved way to test automation tools in place of manual processes by which software testing was initially done.
In the current days, automation tools have taken up a large portion of the software testing procedure and replaced the manual testing process at large. With the constant advancements, customized automation testing tools are now being produced in order to provide more optimal results to the whole testing scenario. But what next?
But before getting into the future of the test automation tools, we need to look back on the huge changes that have been brought about in the UI interfaces. The CRT monitors have now been replaced by the LCD ones, no longer can you see big, space consuming laptops, and people are now fond of small portable devices which are efficient at the same time. This has paved the way for mobiles and tablets which has now become the platform of development as well as testing of the various software. Along with the devices, there has also been a huge change in the internet which has become far more accessible and easy to use. All these changes have affected test automation tools hugely.
- Test automation tools are now being programmed in order to support these new and developing UI interfaces and technology.
- With the development of newer software is coming the requirement of developing newer test procedure to test them and free them of the ever advancing bugs which are also striding towards the future.
- With the advent of newer testing procedure, people are finding the need of test automation tools to cope up with this change.
UDD or UI Driven Development is now largely influencing the test automation tools where the tools along with the testing procedures will be controlled by gestures of the respective testers. The UI Driven Development has some key features which are to be taken into consideration for its development which are as follows:
- Plug-in Manager: The whole system has to be supported by various plug-ins that will contribute to the whole system. This should also ensure that the addition or removal of a plug-in would not affect the set of core plug-ins and the whole system wouldn’t have to be restarted for normal operation.
- Discovery: The newly developed test automation tools should be able to use the already using codes and discover them in a new fashion which will be useful in the future. Reverse engineering is to be used for the benefit of the suture of test automation tools.
- Execution and Reporting Engines: Execution and reporting engines are to be introduced which will increase the flexibility in the method of testing of the various software as well as help in the consolidation of the various results available from the different tests performed.
This was in short a look into the future of test automation tools which is going to be introduced into the world of software testing in the very near future to ensure the betterment of quality of software and profitability of the organizations.
Software testing procedure is the key to the success of any software application and it is a proven fact. The software which undergo software testing procedure prior to launching has better customer satisfaction and success rate than their counterpart which was released without any testing. This is because software testing helps in detection of the various flaws that may ultimately result in the dissatisfaction of the customers. The detection of these flaws helps the developers to rectify them and make the software a stronger one.
Automated testing or test automation is a part of the software testing procedure where the certain pre written codes or special software which automatically test the software under examination and provides the tester with the results and at times can also compare the results of a current test with a past one to show the improvements made on the software after rectification or to give an idea about the most persistent problems that have been lingering on for quite some time now so that special heed may be given to these problems.
Automated testing helps in betterment of the software being tested which in turn leads to the success of the same. But before deciding whether test automation is the key to the successful application or not, first let us check out the various benefits of test automation.
- Testing Improves Accuracy: Monotonous software testing leads to mistakes. Even the most experienced and professional tester is prone to committing mistakes when they are performing manual testing for a long period of time. This can be avoided completely with the help of test automation as it is conducted by the machines and can run the same tests for hours at a go without a single mistake and same consistency.
- Increase Test Coverage: Test automation increases the depth of testing procedures along with the scope. While manually testing a software, testers often omit the lengthy tests for obvious reasons of time. Test automation helps in conduction these tests. Also test automation can take a peek into factors like memory contents, data tables, file contents, and internal program which are usually surpassed by manual testing to provide a detailed report of whether the software at stake is performing in a desired way or not.
- Automation Does What Manual Testing Cannot: Controlled web application test with the help of thousands of users is something which can only be achieved by the help of test automation. It can create scenarios of tens or hundreds or even thousands of virtual users who will be using the software at the same time. This is something which can never be achieved by manual testing methods.
- Automated QA Testing Helps Developers and Testers: As test automation is conducted by machines so even developers with little knowledge about software testing will be able to conduct them. This helps them to rectify the preliminary errors before sending them for software testing which helps in saving time and effort on both fronts.
- Team Morale Improves: This is quite obvious. Test automation takes care of the monotonous and time consuming jobs which leave the team members free for attending the more challenging jobs and for developing better testing procedures which will provide them with more accurate results about the working of the software thus helping them to make even better software.
Thus you can now see that it is pretty evident that test automation hugely enhances the chances of success of an application by improving it in terms of quality leading to greater customer satisfaction.