qa testing services
As long as software testing is concerned, there are certain common yet grave testing problems that the industry is facing and which requires immediate correction for the betterment of the lot. These problems are causing degradation in the product quality and hence needs to be attended to immediately for the sake of customer satisfaction.
- Selecting the Right Tests: One of the most major failures of the software testers is the detection of the correct software testing procedure that is required by a particular software which is being tested as well the stage of the software testing procedure. If the tester is incapable of detecting which test is required by a particular software or stage of the testing, he won’t be able to detect the probable bugs that may be causing rouble at the particular level.
- The Uncertainty Principle: The uncertainty principle is one of the major problems of software testing procedure. It is often seen that the software performance in a different way when it is being tested and when it is being released for use by the public. This usually occurs due to the fact that the environment in which the software is running plays a major role in the performance of the software. This problem, however, can be easily overcome by diminishing the differences between the testing and release environment.
- Manual Testing: Manual testing, although low in cost and effective to certain extent, is a problem for the software testing procedure as it consumes a lot of time of the tester and hence detects the bugs in a slow process, ultimately piling up the complications of the system. Manual testing is a must when it comes to software testing but must be confined o regions where it is an absolute must. Software testers should utilize the automation testing tools as much as possible as far as testing is concerned so as to save time and obtain highly accurate and reliable results.
- The Confused Test Team: One of the major issues which cause the test procedure to be dragged beyond the deadline or left unfinished is the inefficient team of testers who are confused about which test to do on a particular piece of software at the given stage of development. Although the issue is an easily fixable one, it is a pretty grave issue which has to be addressed to immediately. Hiring well experienced or well educated individuals as the team member, often suffices the job. Also ensure that he team is updated at all time about the latest processes in software testing.
- The Test Maintenance Failure: In most cases, it is seen that the test team fails to update the test requirement list along with the list of requirement specifications which is provided to the testers at various points of the software development life cycle. This issue can be easily overcome by designing the testing procedure in such a way that it can be upgraded as and when necessary to fit the requirement specifications provided by the developers.
These are some of the most problematic issues that the testing industry is facing at the point of time and needs to be mitigated ASAP so that the customers are not compromised of a good quality software for use.
Most of the large organizations these days are in favour of outsourcing the QA department to a specialized organization so that their team can concentrate solely on the developmental features of the product. As the software testing procedure is a prime factor in the success of the software and hence its popularity, choosing a good QA testing partner for your firm is of utmost importance. The following tips will lead you to a wise selection of QA testing partner.
- Look at their Client Portfolio and Testimonials: One of the best ways to judge the work of an organization is by reviewing their past works. Their portfolio will give you the various works that have been done by them which will show how experienced and skilled the workers are and then you can judge whether they will be able to fulfil you criteria or not. Software development is a vast region and your QA testing partner should be able to provide you service irrespective of the topic you work in.
- Cross-Cultural Compatibility Study: Many IT companies are now choosing QA partners at a country which is different from where the development team hails from. In such cases, it is absolutely necessary that the management pays close attention to the cultural, social, economical and political situation of your partner country. Also check out if other companies are outsourcing their work to the country you have selected. If a large number of other companies have selected your choice, it simply shows that you choice deliver trustworthy services.
- Cost of Contract: When you are in a business organization, your primary concern should be profit of the organization. Outsourcing the QA department often helps in saving funds ultimately adding up to the profit of your company. While choosing a QA testing partner, you must take notice of the cost at which the service is provided. Offshore QA testing partners (especially in the Asian countries) offer highly skilled labours at cheaper rate than in USA or UK.
- Work with Project Management and Collaboration Tools: Most of the large QA testing firms usually work with project management and collaboration tools in the first place. However, as precaution is always better than cure, you should be clear on the terms that your partner should use project management software like GIT and collaboration tool like MediaWiki or Collaboration in order to yield better results out of the testing procedure. It also makes the procedure easier and a lot faster.
- Insist on a Project Manager: When you are selecting your QA testing partner, you must make sure that your project is being handled by a senior official who is experienced in his job and is capable of taking major decision as and when required. If your project is being handled by a novice, chances are that it may go haywires due to the lack of experience and leadership qualities of the same.
- Proper Documentation: Detailed documentation of the work that has been done by your QA testing partner is an absolute must as it will help you in future references.
These pointers should suffice to help you to choose a good QA testing partner who will help you to prepare a better product that will gain customer satisfaction, ultimately leading to the goodwill of your company.
QA testing is one of the most important parts of product development process and should not be avoided at any cost. Following are some of the myths that surround the process of QA testing which should be avoided.
- Quality Assurance = Testing: The moment people start confusing quality assurance or QA with testing, problems start creeping in. While testing is only done when the whole process has been ended, QA starts from the very beginning of the process and continues till the process has been completed and the products have been shipped off.
- Creating Bug Free Software: Ok! So it’s time to curb down the expectations. You simply can’t eliminate all the bugs present in a system. At most you can just diminish the number of bugs to a level where it can be tolerated.
- Automation of Testing: While automatic testing is good for some of the processes of QA, it is not fit for all the software testing techniques. Certain software testing procedures like usability and exploratory tests requires manual interference. Although automatic testing has made some marked developments, manual testing can’t be completely abolished.
- Testing is Easy:You think that QA testing is a child’s play? Think again! Software testing is not a piece of cake. It requires a specific set of skills and mindset to become a good tester and a good QA tester is a rare breed. These people improve the testing process a lot.
- Quality Assurance Team is Separate: Although quality assurance people care a lot about customer satisfaction. However, leaving the entire procedure in the hands of the QA people is not a wise thing to do. Testing should be done by all the people involved in the process so that the entire process can be done smoothly.
- 100% QA Testing is Best: You may start off your project with the idea of testing the process for 100% coverage. However, this is not a plausible thing to do as it can never be achieved. The progress on a project reduces the test coverage of the same.
- QA should be Left for the End: This is one of the most erroneous mistakes in the process. QA testing should be starts from the very commencement of the process in order to avoid piling up of bugs. This will also prevent the process from being rushed.
- Performance Testing is Left for the End: If you leave the performance testing for the end, then only the tail end glitches will be detected and rectified. However, performance testing through out of the software development life cycle will help in building a strong and glitch free software.
- Security is Different from Quality: In reality, only a quality product will be able to provide customers with the right amount of security. A low quality of product will always tend to be less secure. Hence, quality testing and security testing should go hand in hand.
- QA Testing adds up to the Cost: In reality, however, QA testing helps in saving up as it prevents error in production. It will rectify the error before the product is into production or shipment as after production rectification ups the cost. Hence QA testing should not be seen as an extra expenditure.
These are a few myths of the QA testing procedure which should be abolished as soon as possible.
QA or quality assurance is a relatively new branch of the organizations these days and most of us underestimate the importance of this division and hence neglect the planning of the same which often gives way to several mistakes which ultimately harm the product quality. The following are some of the most common mistakes that are made by the management and which should be avoided at all cost in order to set up a good and able quality assurance department.
- Ambiguous Objectives: This probably one of the biggest mistakes that occur when the management is setting up a QA department for their organization. A team can only deliver you good quality work when they have a definite idea of what you expect out of them. Leaving the QA department confused about your goals will only add to the dilemma.
- Improper Staff Selection: Most commonly the less productive staff of the development section is recruited in the QA department. This usually depreciates the work delivered by QA. Professional individuals who are knowledgeable about the implementation of QMS should be appointed in order to get proper QA results. Also the responsibility of the department should be well defined.
- Undermining the QA Department: As the QA section (especially in software industry) is a relatively new section of the organization, its importance is often neglected or undermined. When the top management lacks the knowledge of how important the QA department is to the success of a product, the department suffers hugely and fails to provide a desirable service.
- Poor Financing: All good things come for a price and it is no different with the QA department. Setting up a proper QA department can be a costly affair, but the returns provided by it are more than the cost of it. Most organizations fail to understand this truth resulting in a poorly financed and hence poorly equipped QA department.
- Zero Authority: “All work and no play make Jack a dull boy”, similarly, loads of responsibility and no power makes the QA department a weak link of the organization. The organization usually wants the QA department to deliver their job as instructed and keep mum. They are not allowed to question or suggest as long as the working procedure of the organization is concerned.
- Existing Processes are Sufficient: The technology is advancing at a rapid pace. To be at par with this rapidly advancing technology one must keep the QA department constantly updated in order to get good quality results. But organizations are usually of the notion that the age old working processes are sufficient to test the new age technology.
- Finding Faults not Facts: The job of the QA department is to find statistically significant facts based on which a particular product can be made better. However, the organizations are more interested in the detection of faults in the product by the QA department. QA department is usually all about the blame game, whereas it should be more methodical in nature when problem solving is considered.
In order to set up a powerful QA department and in turn ensure good quality products, the management of the organization should pay attention to the planning of the department so as to avoid committing blunders like those stated above.