Software testing consists of a vast number of procedures which are performed on the developed software as a precautionary measure to make it as flawless as possible. During the procedure, the software is checked for functionality, design, user friendly behavior, amount of stress it can handle as well as the security issues that the software may face.
Of the various test methods that comprises the software testing procedure, functional testing is the most important of the lot as people will use the particular software, majorly for the purpose of its functionality. Following are a list of practices that you can follow to attain the best result out of functional testing.
- Analysis of the obtained results and getting to the root of the “Fail” results is the most important task of all.
- It is practically impossible to make the software completely flawless; however you should aim at maximum test coverage so as to make it as perfect as possible.
- While you are checking the functional aspects, it is best to break down the software in small modules in order to increase the test coverage.
- While you are checking the functionality, make sure you test the software for unfavourable conditions.
- Don’t start testing your software with a mindset of gaining a completely bug free piece of product.
- Functional testing of the software should begin as early as possible in the developmental stage in order to solve the problems before it gets further complicated.
- Once you spot an error in the developed software, make sure to report it back to the developers as soon as possible.
- Check the software functionality with the help of critical time testing to enhance the performance of the same. Also, avoid rushing the test team and provide them with sufficient time to check the software.
- Make the software do things it is not meant to do to check the functioning of the software in such unfavourable or flawed conditions.
- Always make sure to check the latest functional testing results with the previously obtained one in order to get hang of the most repetitive function issues as well as the progress on the functional front.
- Keep a record of all the findings of the software tests for future references.
- Once the reported bugs has been rectified, you now need to check the software again to make sure that the software isn’t malfunctioning due to the rectification and also to check the development of new bugs.
- Avoids the entry of the developers in the test region and take special attention to write down all the changes in the final report of the software functional tests.
- A good conversation with the development team is absolutely essential to make them understand about the detected problem and what you expect them to do about it. Having a well bonded relationship with the developers team helps in smooth conversation.
- Start testing the software for its functionality as early as possible to avoid the piling up of the bugs or performance issues and always maintain an extensive report which will contain all the details of the procedures and results of the performed tests.
We hope that these few points will help you to conduct functional testing that are going to yield an almost perfect software for your customers.